Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:37:12 +0200
From:      Joachim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGPFE problems on Athlon processors running 4.3-STABLE

Aloha!

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Joachim Strömbergson <watchman@ludd.luth.se> wrote:
>  > Yes, SIGPFE are floating point exceptions. See man signal. The question is if
>  > anybody have any clue why this happens on the Athlon for GPG. And how to fix.
>
> Doesn't happen on my Athlon.
>
> Did you compile the program with any unsupported optimizations,
> such as -O2 or higher, do you have a CPUTYPE setting in your
> make.conf, or anything else that is non-standard?
>
> If so, try compiling it with just -O, no CPUTYPE or anything.

No, no fancy optimization flags or what I believe weird settings are used. All
systems are running custom kernels, but it's mainly to turn of unused things,
as well as turning off APM to remove a previous problem with "microuptime
creeps backwards", which has been discussed here several times.

The cpu flag is set to "I686_CPU" in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf I have until
now not touched make.conf. When the SIGPFE problem appeared, I tried to enable
CPUTYPE=k7, but PGP compiled whit this flag turned on still hanged on SIGPFE.

Should the correct setting for Athlon be "cpu I686_SPU" and "CPUTYPE=k7" in
make.conf

But as said, CFLAGS, COPTFLAGS and so on are not changed from system default.
We want stability and functionality.

The machines are Either Athlon 1200 or 1333. They are running on ABIT MBs with
512MB or 1GB SDRAM.

(We have several, we use them for workstations and servers)

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson