Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 12:39:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, sos@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, mmead@Glock.COM
Subject:   Re: Try this vm_mmap.c -- please

> >Which turns MAP_PRIVATE *off* for device objects.  My Xaccel 1.2 now
> >works perfectly!  Yay!
>
>    Yes, as John and I have discussed, it really doesn't make any sense to
> allow COW (MAP_PRIVATE) mappings of devices. I think forcing them shared
> is reasonable.

Say I mmap'ed a video card, but I wanted to virtualize the card for
multiple console instances.  Wouldn't I want COW for that?

I'm not saying that it isn't right to disallow non-shared mappings
of devices, only that we should try to think of instances of devices
where it might be a mistake.

And maybe add a flag on the device driver as to what mappings are
allowable, assuming there's an example of needing MAP_PRIVATE.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.