Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:50:59 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        myevmenkin@att.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raw socket, bpf, netgraph, etc

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 10:33:47AM -0800, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO writes:
> > i was thinking about netgraph. would't it be nice to have netgraph interface
> > in each network driver?
>
> You already do. See ng_ether(8).
>
> Compile your kernel with options NETGRAPH and then each Ethernet
> interface is a netgraph node. Take control of it by connecting
> to the "divert" hook.

I was trying to figure out if it is possible to route stuff out on
a particular interface based on source address using netgraph. At
the moment we have an NFS server which pretends to be two machines
on the same subnet. To get this to work we're using a small hack
in the ipfw divert code. I looked at the netgraph man pages and
reckoned it might be possible to do somthing like:

           fxp0
          /
ng0 -> bpf
          \
           fxp1

then ifconfig ng0 up with both IP addresses and use the bpf to
determine which ethernet card to transmit it on. However, I don't
think this will work. First 'cos arp stuff will probably be broken
and second because ng0 is a point to point device and won't correctly
encapsulate packets for ethernet.

Am I correct in thinking that this isn't currently possible with the
net graph nodes currently available?

	David.