Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 01:40:02 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        myke@ees.com (Mike Holling)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with routes learned by ICMP redirect?

On 2 Feb 1999 18:21:16 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.misc you wrote:

>These are regular dialup users that can come in on any of the dialup boxes
>with their static IP.  There are no routing daemons running, so I'm
>assuming these routes are learned via ICMP redirects (not knowing how to
>find out how a route was learned).

The ICMP redirects are most likly being sent by your router.  You would
have a much more efficient network if you ran gated on the FreeBSD box
since OSPF is already on the network.  As to how the routes are being
learned, icmpinfo can be helpful in this case... Also, ipfw can be helpfuly
as well

#define ICMP_REDIRECT           5               /* shorter route, codes: */
#define         ICMP_REDIRECT_NET       0               /* for network */
#define         ICMP_REDIRECT_HOST      1               /* for host */
#define         ICMP_REDIRECT_TOSNET    2               /* for tos and net
*/
#define         ICMP_REDIRECT_TOSHOST   3               /* for tos and host
*/

ipfw add 500 allow log icmp from any to any icmptype 5

and it will log to kern all icmp redirects so you can see who is sending
the redirects... Most likely the router since thats where you are sending
things to by default.  But go for gated and ospf... It will be a better
network in the short term and long term.  gdc dump will give you a nice
view of what everything is configured for-- rightly or wrongly.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada