Date:      14 Oct 1998 23:12:03 -0700
From:      cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To:        tonyg@OntheNet.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel traps on boot..

Tony Griffiths <tonyg@OntheNet.com.au> writes:
> Perhaps the only caveat I would put on this is to use a sysctl flag to
> determine whether a panic/dump is taken or a fixup done, thus allowing a
> knowledgable person to make a hopefully informed decision on the severity of
> the error and the potential consequences of ignoring it!

And, to respond to this:

To make such an informed decision, you need to evaluate the problem in
context, which means examining the source, tracking down the bug, etc.

If you can't track down the bug to something you understand, then
you're probably not in a position to make such an informed decision.
If you disable it blindly, then you're just rolling the dice...

If you can figure out the problem and evaluate it, then it's pretty
bloody easy to "#if 0" the chunk of code that panics in the case of
that trap, and probably also fairly easy to fix the bug.  8-)

cgd