Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:47:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max partitions in one slice?

On Tuesday,  5 January 1999 at 14:03:55 -0800, Mike Meyer wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>> Hmm - considering that two file systems is at least one two few for a
>>> Unix system, I'm curious as to what you're going to do with those few?
>>>
>>> To justify my statement, and start a discussion of file system
>>> allocation, you want the following (bare miminum):
>>>
>>> 1) OS installed software (/ & /usr)
>>>
>>> 2) Spool area (/var)
>>>
>>> 3) Things that didn't come with the OS (i.e. - your home directory).
>>>
>>> On second thought, if you don't ever spool anything (i.e. - no mail,
>>> no printer, nothing logged, etc.), you can get away without
>>> /var. That's not very likely, though.
>>
>> You haven't said why you think you need separate file systems for all
>> these things.  It's perfectly possible to have a UNIX system with only
>> one file system; I have at least one on my network, and that may be
>> too few.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Heavily-trafficed things (mail spools, printer spools, the log files)
> get pulled into one area so that writes to them will be isolated
> during a crash.

As I say below, this is no longer an issue.

> Stuff that doesn't come from the vendor gets a separate file system so
> that it's got separate backups, is well out of the way for OS
> upgrades, etc.

That gets handled by file name, not file system.

>> In general, there are three possible reasons for having more than one
>> file system:
>>
>> 1.  Security.  If you break one file system, you still have the
>>     other.  This was once a serious problem, but nowadays the systems
>>     are so reliable that it hardly counts.  I've been running BSD for
>>     nearly 7 years now, and I've only had one crash (on a BSD/OS root
>>     file system, FWIW).  Still, this and superstition are the reason
>>     that I accept a separate root file system on the system disk.
>
> That's one reason for splitting /var off from /. Not the only one,
> though.

It's the only one you mention.  And I already said that it's not an
issue.

>> 2.  Because they are on different disks.  Vinum will solve this
>>     problem too.  See http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html for more
>>     details.
>
> Vinum? How is this different from a RAID implementation?

Not at all.

>> 3.  Because otherwise it would be too big to make a backup on a single
>>     tape.
>
> That's only if your backup software is truly hosed. Since the stock
> software that comes with BSD supports multi-tape backups just fine,
> there's no reason to worry about that.

Do you like getting up three times in the middle of the night to
change a tape?

>> The biggest disadvantage of separate partitions is that it fragments
>> your data space.  In this forum we continually see people running out
>> of space, usually on /var, and wanting to know what to do.  If they
>> hadn't had a separate /var in the first place, they wouldn't have had
>> the problem.
>
> Which is another reason for having a seperate file system: to provide
> firewalls (terminology courtesy of Mike O'Dell). I split /usr off from
> / on my system, in part so I don't have to worry about filling / while
> mucking about with /usr/ports and thus causing real problems. Ditto
> for putting your own stuff on a different file system from root, or
> one where you log files, etc. That way, a runaway user process can't
> cripple the system by running something critical out of space (or,
> given the 10% slop, so close that it'll finish the job itself).

I've never had this problem myself, but that's what quotas are for.

Greg