Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 96 12:36:38 EST
From:      jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP

Hi,

I would like to configure and use PPP with FreeBSD on my machine and I
understand that FreeBSD has extensive support for this (I have obtained
the `setting up user ppp' document from the FreeBSD handbook.  I need
to know, however, whether or not FreeBSD would support my 14400bps
Data/Voice/Fax modem and how to configure FreeBSD to work with the
modem if in fact it can.  Where would I be able to obtain such information?
I am only interested in PPP as a user to dial out to my internet service
provider and am not interested in becomming a PPP dial in server.  I
also have a question concerning software needed to make use of my
connection.  Will I need to obtain special PPP client software to use
such functions as ftp and WWW browsing, or will the usual ftp software
and Netscape work if I have PPP configured as explained in the
`setting up user PPP' document.

Thanks,

JM