Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:59:03 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Subject:   Re: make index strangeness after today's cvsup of ports tree

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 06:51:51PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2003 01:59 pm, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 21:36, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> > >     happy-idiot-talk:...ports/x11/xstroke:% make -V PORTSDIR
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt
> > >     cd: can't cd to /devel/libgnugetopt

> > Thanks for that explanation.., I imagine this is another one of those
> > things that eventually sorts itself out..,

> The other thing that is happening is the following.from a dmesg
>=20
> maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).
> maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).
> maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).
>=20
> You get 3 or 4 of these while all of the above is going on.

Yes.  make(1) is invoking itself recursively because of this bug.  The
aposite term is "fork bomb".  Eventually you'll run out of system
resources and the command will fail.  When Stacey said "sorts itself
out", I believe he was talking about getting fixes committed to the
ports tree.  He didn't mean that there would be loads of error
messages printed out, and then the command would succeed anyhow.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way