Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:37:53 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UNIX98 style pty

In the last episode (Jun 02), Wayne Cuddy said:
> Does freebsd support UNIX 98 style pty usage?  /dev/pty/#

I don't think that's UNIX98.  I just checked the UNIX98 specification
document, and it doesn't mandate any device names at all.  UNIX98 lists
commands and function calls; it doesn't say how they are to be
implemented.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any function that
returns the "next open pty" name for you.

Luckily for you, FreeBSD does have such a function:   openpty().
"man openpty" for more info.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com