Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:59:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Alexandre L." <axelbsd@ymail.com>
Subject:   Re : Replacing Home Router With PC

You can use pfSense : =0ApfSense is a free, open source customized distribu=
tion of FreeBSD tailored for use as a firewall and router.=0Ahttp://www.pfs=
ense.org/=0ApfSense is very simple and intuitive to use with is GUI in PHP.=
 =0A=0A--- En date de=A0: Jeu 11.3.10, mailinglist <mailinglist@ucwv.edu> a=
cing Home Router With PC=0A> =C0: "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-=
questions@freebsd.org>=0A> Date: Jeudi 11 mars 2010, 1h36=0A> I've got an o=
ld Linksys router=0A> hanging off of my cable modem that is several years o=
ld and=0A> is about to die (very poor wireless throughput should be 54=0A> =
mb and is 2, runs hot, and "buzzes" while turned on).=A0=0A> I've got an ol=
der PC that would great as a router....however=0A> I also need it to be a w=
ireless access point for my=0A> house.=A0 It has a PCI wireless network car=
d (A 54G=0A> Belkin, not sure of the exact model).=A0 I know FreeBSD=0A> is=
 technically capable for acting as my DHCP, DNS, router,=0A> gateway box if=
 properly configured.=A0 The question is,=0A> can it use that wireless card=
 to act as a access point=0A> instead of a client (how the card is intended=
 to be used)?=0A> =0A> Also, any links anyone can provide on how to setup a=
=0A> FreeBSD box to act as home router/gateway would be much=0A> appreciate=