Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:35:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!calweb.com!cslye, ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers, ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-scsi
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic's

> Working on a machine here that I have problems with for over a month and a
> half now.  Short rundown of machine, p133 on a ASUS p55t2p4 m/b with 128mb,
> 2 2940UW's and a SMC dual port Digital 21040 card. One 2940 has a Quantum
> XP31070W (root drive) and the other 2940 has a 9gig IBM oem. I am using the
> RELENG_2_2 from 04/21/97 for the panic's I am quoting today.  This box is a
> news feeder system running innd1.5.1 (with mmap at the moment, about to
> recompile without mmap) Anyways, any ideas would be great.  I have the dump
> files, and can get you any other info you need.  Anyways the ddb trace etc..
>
> The first one I dont have trace info from.
>
> dev = 0x400, block = 4505, fs = /
> panic: freeing free block
> debugger("panic")
> stopped at      _Debugger+0x25: movb   $0_in_Debugger,110
>
> ---
>
> dev = 0x2040c, block = 19976, fs = /news/spool
> panic: blkfree freeing free block
> debugger: panic

 Just to show how similar this is to the panics I get on my (2.1.7.1)
news server:

   ponds# gdb -k kernel.29 vmcore.29
   GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
    under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
   There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
   GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
   Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
   IdlePTD 21c000
   current pcb at 20ded8
   panic: ifree: freeing free inode
   #0  0xf01a26ff in boot ()
   (kgdb) where
   #0  0xf01a26ff in boot ()
   #1  0xf0114413 in panic ()
   #2  0xf0183327 in ffs_vfree ()
   #3  0xf01885b2 in ufs_inactive ()
   #4  0xf012a589 in vrele ()
   #5  0xf012a4eb in vput ()
   #6  0xf018bae4 in ufs_remove ()
   #7  0xf012c58e in unlink ()
   #8  0xf01aaa76 in syscall ()
   #9  0xf019febb in Xsyscall ()
   #10 0x2d9a in ?? ()
   #11 0x2b2a in ?? ()
   #12 0x2507 in ?? ()
   #13 0x19b9 in ?? ()
   #14 0x10d3 in ?? ()
   (kgdb)

By the way, this particular machine is an IDE machine - so I'm not
sure SCSI has too much to do with the problem.

 I have a reproduction of what is potentially the problem on
a small machine; I've been trying to nail this for a _long_ time :-)

	- Dave Rivers -