Date:      16 Dec 2002 11:47:52 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apostrophe Usage

Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 09:36:00PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > I can never remember this.
> >
> > In the next sentence, does that apostrophe belong there or not ?
> >
> > 	Include an abstract of the book's contents here.
>
> My brain turned on (thanks to a swift slap from Eric).  Don't worry.

I worry that you asked the question wrongly.  Does the "'s" belong?

I think so, but these should be OK too:

    Include an abstract of the book contents here.
    Include an abstract of the book content here.
    Include an abstract of the book's content here.

(The "book content[s]" being used as one word.)

But they probably should be shortened to one of these:

    Include an abstract of the book here.
    Include here an abstract of the book.   [yuk]

Mushy language, English.