Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 13:26:15 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        platanthera <platanthera@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ls(1) crashes

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 12:25:09AM +0200, platanthera wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 00:05, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (May 18), platanthera said:
> > > ls(1) crashed (exited on signal 10) for the second time within a
> > > few days today. Could you please have a look at the core file and
> > > tell me what's going on? Or even better yet - point me to a
> > > beginners guide on how to interpret core files
> >
> > Signal 10 is a Bus Error and is usually due to bad memory or improper
> > overclocking.
>=20
> I've checked the memory using memtest86, and _not_ overclocked the cpu.

That's the right thing to do in the first instance, but getting an
"all clear" from memtest86 doesn't guarantee you are 100% clear of
problems.  (In technical terms, memtest86 doesn't produce false
positives (saying there's an error when there isn't one) but it does
have a low rate of false negatives (saying there's no error when there
is one))

However, I'd start to look at other aspects of the system now -- the
first thing to eliminate would be hard drive problems.  Can you reboot
the system into single user mode, and run fsck(8) on all the
partitions?  That's

    # fsck -f

(Nb. only the root fs should be mounted, and that should be mounted
read-only while you're doing that.  Not coincidentally, that's the
state booting into single user mode provides).

If there are any errors reported by fsck(8), and especially if
repeated fsck'ing doesn't clear them then your hard drive is probably
about to give up the ghost.

Other causes of the problem could be overheating -- not necessarily of
the main CPU (as that just results in the screen going black, and
whole system rebooting itself after a while) but of some of the bridge
chipsets on the motherboard.  Sometimes those chips will have a fan
assisted heatsink but that's not very common.  If they do, verify that
the fan is working properly, and in any case, verify that the main
case and power supply fans are working correctly, vents are not
obstructed (either by stuff around your machine, or by dust on the
inside) and that internal ribbon cables and so forth aren't preventing
the free movement of air around the inside of the case.

Even if you can't nail down exactly what the problem is, you might
want to consider doing a cvsup + {build,install}{world,kernel} cycle.
It will either make any deficiencies in your hardware glaringly
obvious, or could very well make your trouble go away.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way