Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:03:17 -0800
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X-Window quirk? my machine? or the text editors I use?

I have noticed a very bothersome quirk when working with these text editors-
gedit, gnotepad+, asWedit, bluefish
Most of the time when I want to use copy/paste or cut/paste, it will not work.
I highlight the text, either select the menu or right-button click, then move
to where I want to paste into, and paste the text. BUT, nothing shows up. The
message bar says text pasted, but it's not there. When I close the app it asks
if I want to save the changes, This oddity happens in all 4 of the above mentioned apps, and only goes away,
temporarily, after restarting X. What causes it in the first place I do not
know. Does anyone else? I have upgraded the apps to the latest versions and
still the same problem.but I haven't made any visible changes, they
don't show up. If I say yes to save, then reopen the document, the changes
are not, in fact, there.
This oddity happens in all 4 of the above mentioned apps, and only goes away,
temporarily, after restarting X. What causes it in the first place I do not
know. Does anyone else? I have upgraded the apps to the latest versions and
still the same problem.
I just tried the same here in sylpheed and it works fine, I even pasted part
of this text into gedit, no problem. I then highlighted some text in gedit and
tried to paste it into the same doc and it did not show up. The same text from
gedit, though, will paste into this email just fine. What do those 4 editors
have in common that could be causing this anomaly?

-
Chip Wiegand
Alternative Operating Systems
www.wiegand.org