Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:05:06 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, drosih@rpi.edu, Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>, rblayzor.bulk@inoc.net
Subject:   Re: Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

On Thursday 15 January 2009 12:49:11 pm Robert Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Pete French wrote:
>
> >> desirable.  You might want to give the NMI a test run just to make sure
it
> >> behaves as you think it should, though -- be aware that if DDB/KDB aren't
> >> compiled into the kernel, then an NMI will panic the box.
> >
> > Unfortunately it does this...
> >
> > http://toybox.twisted.org.uk/~pete/71_nmi1.png
> >
> > That is locked up too - hitting return does nothing. I was hoping it was
> > just garbled output but had actually gone to the debugger. Apparently not.
> >
> > Thats with a config file containing KDB, DDB and BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, which
> > does work as I have tested it with CTRL_ALT_ESC.
>
> Er, that's rather upsetting.  John, do you have any ideas about this?

The rest of the thread I have no context on still.  The garbage is due to
competing panics I think.  The problem is we don't single thread the printf's
in 'trap_fatal()'.  We should probably have some sort of simple spin lock
thing in the x86 code to only allow 1 CPU at a time to run through that
routine.

--
John Baldwin