Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:30:45 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How is passwd crypt'ed?

I have a program which locks your X screen and asks for your password
in order to unlock it.  (Yes, I know about cntrl-alt-backspace to exit
X, and I know the program has to be setuid root in order to access the
shadowed passwords.)  I need to know how I should call "crypt" in
order to encrypt what the user typed so I can compare the encrypted
password strings.  In previous versions BSD the seed was the taken as
the first 2 characters of the encrypted password entry so you could
simply pass the encrypted password to crypt as the second argument.  I
tried that under FreeBSD and it doesn't seem to work.

Can someone quickly tell me how passwords are encrypted under FreeBSD?
If no one knows right off I can do the research looking at source for
passwd.c but I figured someone may know right off.

Thanks.

/raj