Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:33:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        moncrg@ma.ultranet.com
Cc:        Don Read <dread@calcasieu.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2, /etc/daily and ppp -auto

On 02-Jul-99 Greg Moncreaff wrote:
> I can change "netstat -ir" to "netstat -nir" for one cause,
> maybe this could be wrapped in a check if
> "/var/run/tunN.pid" exists [from man ppp(8)]
> or even better a check to see if ppp was connected if such
> a feature exists...

Haven't tried it, but that is what 'pppctl' lives for.

> is there anything I can put in /etc/host.conf or /etc/hosts so that It
> doesn't have to actually connect to the net for this?
>
> if my hostname is in /etc/hosts and /etc/host.conf says use hosts before
> bind what else can I do to tell sendmail that it doesn't need to
> connect to the internet?

Try using 'sendmail -O DeliveryMode=d' in the crontab.

The mail won't get delivered til the next queue run, but probably cleaner than
mess^H^H^H^Haltering a working config

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- But I'm in good company, sendmail has kicked a great many
     butts in the past