Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:56:50 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

> I crashed -current a few times recently, and entropy seeding during
> startup took several minutes of leaning on the space bar.  This was
> initially with a week old kernel and finally with a current kernel
> and a broken ps.  Apparently there isn't a enough entropy unless ps
> produces a normal amount.

Bruce,

Please try this; short-circuit all the /etc/rc pseudo-entropy
gathering (the processes that run a load of junk to try to reseed)
and replace them with something that you _know_ is short-and-quick
(like 'echo "kfjgsdkjfhskdjfhksdhf" >/dev/random') and let me know
how long that takes.

WARNING - this will make the startup state of /dev/random
dangerously predictable and repeatable.

Thanks!

Mark Murray