Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:31:07 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@daemonnews.org>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD E'Zine

--JwDyboxUGYfjwwUw

On 2001-12-10 10:03 -0800, "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>=20
> > On 2001-12-09 00:16 -0800, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > > Yes, it's dead.  The old issues will temporarily be available (at lea=
st
> > > until I can pay for freebsdzine.org) at http://freebsdzine.geekhouse.=
net/
> > > once I get the DNS added.
>=20
> > We'd like to host the archived freebsdzine pages at Daemon News.  We'll
> > pay for the domain.  The content, including FreeBSDZine logos, will
> > remain as-is.  The only things we may have to add/change are some
> > graphical advertisments, a small 'hosted by Daemon News' link, and
> > updated contact info.  Let me know, please.
>=20
> Why is this on the chat list? :)

Because I mistakenly kept the Cc: when I meant to send it just to Jim.
=20
> I am curious, how much will he be paid? (Since I am sure many others will
> host it for free and pay for the reregistration without the ads.)

All we want to do is keep around all of this great information that the
'zine guys created and collected.  If this means paying for the domain
registration, fine.  But we'll slap the Daemon News ad banner on there
in an attempt to have the site make a few bucks and pay for its own
registration.

We at Daemon News try to make our activities self-sustaining; we can't
just rely on a batch of VC money to keep all the services we provide
afloat.  That's why we'd put the ads on the page, the same way we put
ads on our own sites, in the print magazine, etc.--because we have a
business to run, and all of these activities take money.  We're not
exactly flush with cash; most of us don't even get paid, so we need
to regulate money flows very carefully.  Hosting a website doesn't
cost much, but $20 here and $20 there tends to add up, so having small
inflows of money to offset the small outflows helps a lot.

I hope that this is an adequate summary of our rationale.=20

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                                  Frotz!
mailto:gsutter@daemonnews.org=20
hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net/0x845DFEDD

--JwDyboxUGYfjwwUw

--JwDyboxUGYfjwwUw--