Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 11:27:30 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        lizst@va.com.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fujitsu Laptop can't find anything after booting

> Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 08:01:03 +1000
> From: Jesse Reynolds <lizst@va.com.au>
> Subject: Fujitsu Laptop can't find anything after booting
>
> Hi
>
> I am not a subscriber to freebsd-questions so if you could cc your
> replies to 'lizst@va.com.au' that would great, thankyou.
>
> I've tried 3.4-R and 4.0-R on this Fujitsu 735D laptop I have... I
> have it dualbooting, with the FreeBSD boot manager, NT 4 is installed
> in a partition that takes up the first 500Mb of the disk and this
> boots fine.... I'm now trying to install FreeBSD in a partition that
> takes up the rest of the disk - a 1.6Gb disk.
>
> When I choose "F2 - FreeBSD" from the bootmanager, it boots the
> kernel fine, going through initialising the devices etc... then the
> last screen I can see has thing like the following:
>
> find: not found
> date: not found
> uname: not found
> cp /etc/motd - not found
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv0
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv1
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv2
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv3
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv4
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv5
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv6
> can't exec getty - /usr/libexec/getty for /dev/ttyv7
>

> so I'm wondering what's going on! I tried to have only one FreeBSD
> slice within it's 'dos partition'. Perhaps I have to have a separate
> /usr partition?

Note on terminology.  In FreeBSD, a "slice" is the same thing as a
"partition" in DOS/NT.  A FreeBSD "partition" is a subset of a
"slice", and corresponds to a mountable volume.  So you can't put
a FreeBSD "slice" in a DOS "partition" (you can fake it, but that
isn't what you've described).

It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your problem, unless
when you say "/usr partition" you mean "slice".

> Perhaps some of these executables have to be in the first 500Mb of the disk...

That is probably it.  The / (root) partition has to be in the first 1024
cylinders of the disk, because it uses BIOS calls to boot.  I don't
know the boot process well enough to tell you if these particular
errors would be a result of that.

The root partition usually only requires 30 - 50 MB, so I would
consider using Partition Magic or a similar utility to steal that
much space from the end of the NT partition (Partition Magic 5.0
can resize NTFS partitions), and make it a FreeBSD slice that
contains the / partition.  The remainder of the drive can be another
FreeBSD slice that contains your other FreeBSD partitions.  By
creating a separate slice for the / partition, you can force it to
be exactly where you want it on the disk.  With care, you may be able
to do this without a separate slice, but if you don't run out of
partitions, why bother?

If the NT partition does not already fill the first 1024 cylinders,
you may not need to resize it.  You may simply need to create two
FreeBSD slices: one that exists entirely within the first 1024
cylinders, and one that can extend beyond them.  This gives you a
way to guarantee that the entire / partition is within the first
1024 cylinders.

Since you already have NT installed, it may be too late for this,
but using LBA mode to access the disk usually extends the 1024
cylinder boundary well beyond 500 MB.

Good luck.

-- Bob

Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
bob@eng.ufl.edu        College of Engineering
                       523 Weil Hall
352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611