Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:56:55 -0800
From:      William Carrel <william.a@carrel.org>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wednesday, December 26, 2001, at 06:31 PM, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> The problem with this is that we DON'T always want every link to
> operate at its "maximum" setting.
>
> I have little interest in giving huge chunks of bandwidth to every
> miscellaneous user (and along with it the ability to do something
> dumb like bog the whole network down when they accidentally drag
> their entire hard drive icon to a network drive) when their work
> amounts to saving a couple of word processing documents to a server
> each day.  Those people don't even need 10Mbps of bandwidth, much
> less 100 or more.

Using switch settings to obtain this sort of configuration/protection is
at best crude.  Try dummynet(4) and/or some QoS capable network
hardware.  Or use some reporting software in conjunction to a packet
sniffer and levy penalties on those that "abuse" the network.  There are
lots of approaches that can make this work.  Trying to juryrig your
switch ports to run in some sort of half-baked mode is definately not
the most efficient approach at solving this problem.

> All switches should have configurable ports, IMHO.

Managed switches aren't for every scenario, particularly when some of us
would rather spend $3000 to purchase mountain bikes than network
equipment for our home.  (Granted the prices are coming down on smaller
managed switches, but...)

--
wac