Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2008 03:12:27 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ben Stuyts <ben@altesco.nl>
Cc:        Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS, Samba 3.2 and possibly ACLs?

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:42:32AM +0200, Ben Stuyts wrote:
> I had to disable mmap access in dovecot, or it would coredump
> periodically. (mmap_disable = yes in dovecot.conf) I found that to be a
> problem only on ZFS. I don't know if that's been fixed yet. Apart from
> that it works great.

This seems relevant to your problem:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-March/029565.html

HEAD had this problem fixed in rev 1.28, dated 2008/03/15.
RELENG_7 had this problem fixed in rev 1.31.2.2, dated 2008/04/26.

Here's the proper file in cvsweb so you can see it yourself:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/zfs_vnops.c

Have you tried re-enabling mmap in dovecot on a system with a kernel
build after those dates?  If so, does it still randomly segfault?  If
so, have you reported this to pjd@?  :-)