Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:50:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      jaime@snowmoon.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PHP port bug?

	I think that I have found a problem with installing the mod_php4
port.  It has not set the time zone correctly for me for quite some time.
Consider the following:

<HTML><BODY><PRE>
<?php
echo "GMT:   " . gmdate( "D, j M Y H:i:s" ) . "<BR>";
echo "Local: " . date( "D, j M Y H:i:s" ) . "<BR>";
echo "Z:     " . date( "Z" ) . "<BR>";
echo "O:     " . date( "O" ) . "<BR>";
echo "T:     " . date( "T" ) . "<BR>";
echo "Env:   " . getenv("TZ");
?>
</PRE>
</BODY></HTML>

	Which is outputting:

GMT:   Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:14:51
Z:     0
O:     +0000
T:     GMT
Env:   US/Eastern

	This is on the following system:
zeus:jkikpole>uname -a
FreeBSD zeus.cairodurham.org 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #7: Tue Nov 19 20:26:25 EST 2002     jkikpole@zeus.cairodurham.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZEUS  i386

	Meanwhile, on another system that is running:
[jaime:jaime]> uname -a
FreeBSD malkav.snowmoon.com 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #2: Tue Jun  4 13:32:21 EDT 2002     jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MALKAV  i386

	I get the following output for the same script:
GMT:   Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:16:56
Z:     -18000
O:     -0500
T:     EST
Env:

	This means that the FBSD 4.7 system with the mod_php4 port
version 4.2.3 is not understanding that its time zone is EST.  For some
reason, it has an environment variable of "US/Eastern" which the FBSD 4.6
system running mod_php4 version 4.2.1 does not.  Despite that environment
variable, the actual time zone that the mod_php4 binary understands itself
to be in is still "GMT".

	This causes all kinds of fun with my web mail systems.  ;)

	Any advise or pointers would be appreciated.  I've tried to RTFM
(and even the freshports.org CVS system and a little of the source code)
but have had no luck figuring this out.

	Can anyone else even reproduce this error?

							Thanks in advance,
							Jaime