Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:42:59 +0800
From:      francisv@dagupan.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with setting up jail

Hi,

This is my first time to configure a jailed environment on FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE. I have read the `man jail(8)' and successfully installed the
jail directory tree:

     D=/here/is/the/jail
     cd /usr/src
     make world DESTDIR=$D
     cd etc
     make distribution DESTDIR=$D NO_MAKEDEV=yes
     cd $D/dev
     sh MAKEDEV jail
     cd $D
     ln -sf dev/null kernel

But once inside the jail environment, I could not ping nor contact the
outside world (even the parent environment). It displays an error:

	ping: socket: Operation not permitted

How can I install other packages if I can't even ping the parent host?