Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:06:35 -0500
From:      Srikanth Kumar <skumar@newbridge.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't remote login as root

--------------FEFF84C3CD0989A9BAFDC8A3

Doug, Cliff, Kevin, Chris, Crist,
Thank you all for taking the time to answer. Your method (of marking
the terminal secure) is the approach I have taken. We are using a Free BSD
m/c in the lab to test our routing stack, which needs to be run in
priveleged
mode.
However, I have let people know about your
security concerns, and the reasons for the Free BSD remote login philosophy.

Thanks again,
-Sri Kumar.

Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 04:48:55PM -0500, Srikanth Kumar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > FreeBSD BSD001 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Mar  8 08:15:32
> > EST 2000     root@BSD001:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERN_T1_QUAD  i386
> >
> > I am unable to login to the Free BSD machine from a remote terminal, as
> > root.
> > I have been logging in as another user, and doing an su, to get root
> > access.
> > Can you help me out from this situation?
>
> FreeBSD does not allow remote root access by default. This is a
> feature, not a bug. Logging in as another user and su(1)ing to root is
> the prefered method to get administrator access. Why is that a
> problem?
>
> To disable this security feature, go to /etc/tty and mark the
> appropriate terminals 'secure.'
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

Srikanth Kumar           skumar@newbridge.com              Ph:  703-736-5923
Newbridge Networks  593 Herndon Pkwy, Herndon, VA, 20170   Fax:  703-736-5959
Expressed opinions of skumar. NN may not share the same view.

--------------FEFF84C3CD0989A9BAFDC8A3

<HTML>
Doug, Cliff, Kevin, Chris, Crist,
<BR>Thank you all for taking the time to answer. Your method (of marking
<BR>the terminal secure) is the approach I&nbsp;have taken. We are using
a Free BSD
<BR>m/c in the lab to test our routing stack, which needs to be run in
priveleged
<BR>mode.
<BR>However, I have let people know about your
<BR>security concerns, and the reasons for the Free BSD remote login philosophy.
<BR>Thanks again,
<BR>-Sri Kumar.
<P>Crist J. Clark wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 04:48:55PM -0500, Srikanth