Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:54:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        JB <jrs@Mcs.Net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 quick questions

1. For the soundblaster stuff I can only recommend searching -hackers
or -multimedia archives. Luigi has done a lot of work on that front.

2. A P200 should easely handle ftp/www/mail/dns for 30 people.

3. If the telnet access is for light application use only like to read
mail or something you can do the telnet on that same machine.

4. I would like to add a question about NFS to yours, whether NFS code
is stable enough to run production.

5. As far as disk drives I would not recommend using disk drives
bigger than 4Gig for disk intensive applications.

Hope this helps.

Rudy

---JB <jrs@Mcs.Net> wrote:

> 	My first question is very simple.  I have a soundblaster awe 32
> card.  Is there a way i could make the card work through the kernal.
>
> 	My second question Is a little more technical.  I have run red hat
> and slackware before but have never run freebsd.  They are simular
and i
> have gotton the feel for it already but i have been recently asked
to set
> up a small networking scheme.  This projects involves setting up 5
freebsd
> machines (5 new pentium 200mhz machines with 64-128 mb ram).  A
> mailserver, www server, Dns server,  NFS and a telnet machine for
> general use for about 30 people.  I was going to setup seperate
machines
> running differnt daemons but i would like to try to run nfs.  I
> understand nfs but i wanted to know two things.  First of all
> would it be sensible to install all main files (ie usr files and all
> user directories) on the nfs machine with multiple disk drives or one
> big one (12gig/23 gig scsi)then just use small disk drives (1gig)
for the