Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 97 10:15:15 +0200
From:      Marko Schuetz <marko@ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Notebook Problem]

>>>>> "Yong" == Yong Liu <yongliu@public.bta.net.cn> writes:

[..]
Yong> The poblem I encountered are:

Yong> 1. I could not make the PCMCIA recognized by FreeBSD. I reconfigured the
Yong> kernel to include the PCCARD controllers and devices according the LINT
Yong> config template. I also added the ed0 driver. It complains that
Yong> "/dev/card0 not configured." when I run the "pccardc" command. BTW, this
Yong> PCMCIA card really works fine under Win95. If changing the card may
Yong> overcome this problem, I have a D-Link DE650 PCMCIA ethernet card at
Yong> hand.

Try 'dmesg'. What does it say about pcic at boot?

Yong> Could anybody give me some hints on these strange stuff? Or is FreeBSD
Yong> is not so good as other free UNIX clones like Linux ? Your happy or bad
Yong> experiences with FreeBSD on a notebook are also highly welcomed.

I use FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a Toshiba Portege 610CT with a D-Link 650 and a
Megahertz i3288 and am quite happy with it. There is an occasional
rough edge, but much less so than on some commercial unices I have had
to use and/or administrate.

You cannot quite compare it to Linux. You could compare it to a
particular Linux distribution. Some distributions move towards the RPM
packaging format, which I dislike because it makes it necessary to use
specific rpm-tools to handle these packages: you can not easily use
these RPM packages with standard unix tools. I found this very
annoying, when I tried to unpack some files from a package without
installing an rpm database on my system. Obviously, if you install a
distribution that uses rpm and you do your standard tasks with it, you
will not encounter this. Still, I think the FreeBSD packaging is much
more elegant since it uses standard tools in a transparent way. This
is an impression that I often find supported when looking at how
some functionality is achieved in FreeBSD.

Marko