Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:17:52 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to update from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to RELENG_4

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 09:18:45AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have an old FreeBSD 2.2.8 installation at a customers site.
> Does somebody have any experience in upgrading such a machine to 4.0 ?
>
> Or is there a document available where these steps are documented
> over the different FreeBSD releases ???
>
> I'd do the following and pray ...

[snip]

1) Get 4.0-RELEASE install floppies.

2) Do a binary install of the minimal system using media of choice
   (FTP, 4.0-R CDROM, etc.).

3) Grab 4.x-STABLE source with CVSup.
   i)  If you have an old cvsup installed, it is probably
       broken. Shuffle aout libs to fix, or
   ii) Install a new cvsup package during sysinstall (safer).

4) Make sure /etc/make.conf has enabled COMPAT22.

5) buildworld.

6) Configure 4.x kernel, buildkernel, installkernel.

7) installworld.

8) Reboot.

Why bother building source each step of the way? It can only make
trouble. It does not benefit you in anyway.

There are some details left out, but that is left as an excercise for
the reader.