Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:34:47 -0600
From:      "SF" <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NFS (security), backup procedures

I currently have 3 FreeBSD systems set up to perform a number of jobs (email
server, web server, dns services and a third which is somewhat
experimental).  I am at the point in time, however, where I need to start
thinking about a backup system.  (Although I could simply ghost the systems,
because of not wanting to bring the servers down anymore.)  I would like to
install a tape drive in one of the systems and simply backup over the
network.  The question I have, however, relates to the security of using NFS
for transferring files over an open network.  These machines are not behind
a firewall and I don't want to run services that would be pretty vulnerable
to hacking attempts.  (I am reading Greg Lehey's book - "The Complete
FreeBSD" - but he really doesn't get into as much detail as I need to
thoroughly research this.)  What would the caveats of using NFS to do
backups be and is there some way to do NFS using ssh/ssh2?  (Can you give me
pointers as to where to find the information I need?)  Also, offhand, is
there a reason why I should consider DAT DDS3 over DDS2?

Thanks,
SF