Date:      Fri, 5 May 1995 16:42:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/news/inn/pkg PLIST

[moved to -hackers]

> In message <199505051922.TAA22862@veda.is> Adam David writes:
>
> >> What does renaming /var/spool/news to /var/news fix?
>
> >Might there be sites that have a separate partition for /var/spool ?
>
> >> Are we just doing it to follow our OWN convention?
>
> >/var/news is the suggested default in the latest Cnews.
>
> Ok, I want to hear _final_ solution (whatever it can be).

Go through all the news related ports, find out which each thinks is
the default.  Pick the one that is most common to minimize the number
of things that have to be patched.

Then patch them all so that you can override this value with a
single know so sites running either way can easily build the
software the way there sight needs it.