Date:      06 Sep 2002 11:03:05 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@windborne.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Package compression format changed

    At the request of the release engineers the default package
    compression scheme has been changed from gzipped tarball to bzip2ed
    tarball.  The package tools have been updated to deal with the new
    format (older package tools only had partial support for .tbz
    packages).

    Additionally, the ports collection packages distributed via the FTP
    site have been switched to .tbz, so if you are a regular user of
    these
    packages you will need to update and rebuild your package tools
    (e.g. by doing a complete upgrade).

I don't suppose anyone considered .. say.. upgrading the pkg_* binaries
to understand this and look for it .. say.. BEFORE YOU FORCED US ALL TO
UPGRADE?!!?

This was a very ill chosen decision. I can now no longer install ANY
packages until I upgrade my -STABLE boxen?!?! What idiocy is this? I
agree the change should have been made.. but change the binaries FIRST
at say RELEASE .. give it time for everyone to absorb the changes.. and
then change the packages.  Oh you say.. you can just d/l the packages
and then install them from local disk. Great.. lets talk about
dependancies.. That isn't going to be frustrating.. uh uh.. no way.

It would have been a simple thing to have pkg_* check for a .tbz file
first and then check for a .tgz file second.

Come on guys.. we have to do better than this.

--

  - branson