Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:54:57 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 10:21:08AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I like idea of being able to choose between two different compilers
>     on the fly -- as in with a kernel config option or a make.conf option.
>
>     I don't think we can 'replace' gcc in 4.x.  It will screw up too many
>     people trying to track down bugs, including me.

And what about including it as an alternative system compiler ?

base:	cc	gcc	g++	c++
egcs:	ecc	egcc	eg++	ec++

Would that be possible ? Like awk and nawk in the past ?! ;-)

That would bering an option to people, who want to have it in
the base OS ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?