Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:03:41 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "David Powers" <david@grayskies.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel hang on 4.4 PRERELEASE

In message <004e01c12675$ddbb3ff0$0b00000a@david> "David Powers" writes:
: I recently cvsuped a clean copy of the -STABLE source, rebuilt world and
: rebuilt the kernel with no compile errors.  However, when the machine is
: rebooted it hangs just after attempting to mount the root partition.  A
: boot -v shows that it gets slightly futher than that and hangs just after
: running /sbin/init.  I put some echo lines into my /etc/rc file to see if it
: got even that far to no avail.  Failing that I tried the GENERIC kernel,
: also with no luck.  As a last resort I hacked my kernel down to nothing (no
: sound, no usb, no apm, etc.) and still no go.  My old kernel (cvsup -STABLE
: from about 2 or 3 weeks ago) still boots with no trouble and everything
: seems to run perfectly.  The system is a Sony VAIO laptop (i815 motherboard,
: PIII 700, 320 megs of ram).  I've included the dmesg from my old kernel (no
: dmesg from the hang ;( ) and my kernel config below.  Any insight into this
: would be much appreciated.

: pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 0 at device 2.0 on pci1
: pcic-pci1: <Ricoh RL5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 0 at device 2.1 on pci1

You might want to update update further.  pcic should now probe at
pcic0: and pcic1:.  Make sure that you update pccardd too, but that
isn't the problem here.  You may have an interrupt storm.

Warner