Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:59:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Bartosz Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spurious thermal shutdowns on Dell Studio 1557

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
 > I have tried spoofing Windows Vista - no joy, nothing changes.
 >
 > Overriding the _OS variable had no effect as the DSDT actually checks _OSI. I
 > applied the patch in kern/121504 and overrode _OSI with "Windows 2006".
 > Unfortunately, this had no effect on thermal settings at all.
 >
 > Any other ideas for what to try?

No, apart from maybe overriding _CRT and/or _PSV, perhaps swapping them?
You called changing these a hack, but a hack's fine if it works :)

My Thinkpad T23 has 90C _PSV, 96C _CRT, but I've yet to see it hit 90C;
the last buildworld got it to about 86C, and that was in our summer.

Perhaps see if you can get it to start passive cooling at say 80C, with
_CRT set at maybe 90C, to see whether passive cooling handles the load?

Apart from feeding it a can of air, hopefully someone else has an idea?

cheers, Ian