Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:40:30 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [TEST/REVIEW]: rootfs mounting code rework

Tim Kientzle wrote this message on Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 10:12 -0800:
> Here's a situation that may be worth thinking
> about:
>
>   * Working FreeBSD system that uses
>     a separate controller.  / is /dev/da4.
>
>   * Controller blows up.
>
>   * Connect hard disk to the on-board controller.
>
> Note: kernel is now being loaded from /dev/da0,
> but /etc/fstab still says / is /dev/da4.
> With the old rootfs code, this system is
> unbootable.
>
> I hope you've considered situations like this.

Simply boot single user mode, update /etc/fstab and reboot..  if you
really care, then you should be using labeled providers, and then it'll
just magicly work...  assuming you use the label provider in your
/etc/fstab..

I don't think we should EVER magicly mount root if /etc/fstab disagrees..
Unix is suppose to do what you tell it to...  If /dev/ad4 doesn't exist
anymore, then it shouldn't boot until you fix it..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579