Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:43:42 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Michael Class <michael.class@gmx.de>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIL3112 and Maxtor 6Y160M0 SATA Disk: DMA Failure

Michael Class wrote:

> recently I have added a cheap SIL3112 SATA controller in my system.

My condolences..

> Unfortunately when I do attach my Maxtor SATA disk to this controller
> I do only get DMA errors. This is all on a recent 6.0-CURRENT system
> and can be reproduced with a GENERIC kernel.

The SiI3112 silicon is so bug ridden its not even funny.

I suggest you return that piece of crap to the vendor that sold it to=20
you and get somthing that works.

If thats not an option and you have plenty of time, you can try to=20
experiment with all PCI and memory options in your BIOS, maybe you can=20
find a combination that make it work.

Beware of silent datacorruption and that sort of thing though...

Good luck!

-S=F8ren