Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:45:06 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Rob <nospam@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: bug in bootpd for FBSD-stable ?

In message <20040207093627.GB7043@happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophile.co.uk>, Mat
thew Seaman writes:

>On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:52:12AM +0900, Rob wrote:
>> .default:\
>>         hn:ht=1:vm=rfc1048:\
>>         sm=255.255.255.0:\
>>         sa=147.46.44.181:\
>>         gw=147.46.44.1:\
>>         hd="":\
>>         bf="kernel":\
>>         T128="147.46.44.181:/home":\
>>         T129=64000:\
>>         rp="147.46.44.181:/tftpboot":
>>         tc=.default:
>>But then I get in /var/log/messages this line:
>>
>>Feb  6 20:06:45 cisr bootpd[842]: in entry named ".default", symbol "T128": bad syntax
>>Feb  6 20:06:45 cisr bootpd[842]: can't find tc=".default"

Rob, are you sure that the error was on the T128 line? The above
bootptab appears to have just one syntax error, but it is on the
T129 line. From bootptab(5):

   There is also a generic tag, Tn, where n is an RFC1084 vendor field tag
   number.  Thus it is possible to immediately take advantage of future
   extensions to RFC1084 without being forced to modify bootpd first.
   Generic data may be represented as either a stream of hexadecimal numbers
   or as a quoted string of ASCII characters.  The length of the generic
   data is automatically determined and inserted into the proper field(s) of
   the RFC1084-style bootp reply.

The error is that `64000' is neither a quoted string nor a stream of
hexadecimal bytes. Try this instead:

	T129=0000fa00:\

There seems to be incorrect advice about this in the handbook, as
FreeBSD's bootpd and kernel has always required the swap size to
be specified this way. Note also that this mechanism of setting up
swap no longer works in FreeBSD 5.x.

>Read the man page more closely, and consult termcap(5) for the general
>syntax.  One obscure requirement is:

Bootpd does not use termcap(5) syntax, so none of this is relevant.

Ian