Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:11:31 -0700
From:      Mark Mayo <mmayo@360networks.net>
To:        Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The 4.4 FTP Release

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:01:28PM +0000, Olafur Osvaldsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1.  I find it strange that the announcement of the new version was sent out
>     before even ftp.freebsd.org was up-to-date.

That is a bit odd, yes.

> 2.  It is also strange that mirrors were allowed to start mirroring from
>     ftp-master before the maintainers finished uploading to the machine,
>     making the mirrors in some instances download hundreds of MB again when
>     it was decided to change the setup of the ISO-IMAGES dir.

I stayed up and supervised the syncing to be ready for "the big hit", so
I saw this change and just moved some files around without having to
download them. Naturally, any automated scripts would have re-transfered
one image. Buy hey, the change had to be made. It was. It was
communicated. I don't see much reason to complain on this one. And the
extra download of one image is hardly a worry for a mirror -- we'll
push out that many bytes every few minutes for the next couple weeks..

> 3.  To my knowledge there were only 3 sites today (13:00 GMT) that had all of
>     4.4 i386 iso images on their ftp server, ftp2.freebsd.org, ftp5.freebsd.org
>     and ftp.rhnet.is, but ftp.freebsd.org didn't have all.

I (ftp.ca.freebsd.org) had all the images before the announcement.
Again, I stayed up and waited for the images to appear on ftp-master,
downloaded everything to holding spots, and moved it all over in one go
once I had everything. It required a few hours of my time, yes, but that
doesn't seem unreasonable. I can spare a few hours several times a year
to make sure releases go smoother.

> 4.  The ftp.freebsd.org should ofcourse be some kind of a round-robin setup of
>     full-mirrors.

I would agree that this is a good idea, assuming there are enough tier-1
mirrors committed to give their time to make it happen. The primary
resouce needed to make this happen is the dedication of some time from a
handful of mirror admins to work out and agree to the details. And
ultimately, commit to making themselves available during the release
date to make sure it works smoothly.

Overall, this release seems to be going a whole lot better than the
4.3 release, and I think everyone involved deserves a round of applause
for making it happen. Especially the release engineering team.

-Mark

--
Mark Mayo <mmayo@360networks.net>