Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2014 22:29:11 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SuperMicro IPMI/SOL and ipmitool troubles

Paul,

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Paul Mather wrote:

> > I'm trying to set up sol console for supermicro servers, reading some documents
>
> Aye, and there's the rub: I've found that the COM port that SOL uses
> varies across different Supermicro server models, and the BIOS support
> for assigning or determining the COM port differs (or is sometimes
> nonexistent) between those servers. :-(
>
> I recently spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why SOL was
> not working on a particular Supermicro server and it turned out to be
> that the COM port differed to those I'd used in previous setups.

Yes, at least on X8SIE your hint works, swithing to com3 with

# SOL console
boot_multicons="yes"
boot_serial="YES"
console="comconsole vidconsole"
# com3 is ipmi/sol console
comconsole_port="0x3E8"
comconsole_speed="115200"

works, thanks a lot!

Still fighting microcloud blades...

Next thing will be consolidation all these into conserver-com for both logging
and centralized management...

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck@FreeBSD.org ]