Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 08:49:33 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug in version comparison routine of pkg_version

If memory serves me right, "Akinori MUSHA" wrote:
> At Tue, 28 May 2002 11:43:13 +0300,
> sobomax wrote:
> > For some reason pkg_version(1) thinks that version 1.7_5 is
> > greater than version 1.7.0.1, but correctly reports that 1.7
> > is less than 1.7.0.1. This doesn't look like a good thing to
> > me and we probably should fix it before 4.6 is out. I don't
> > know if portupgrade is affected, but I suspect that it could
> > because AFAIK knu helped with implementing pkg_version's
> > version comparison routine.
>
> The comparison routine that the portupgrade suite uses handles it
> correctly:
>
> knu@archon[2]% pkg_version -t 1.7_5 1.7.0.1
> >
> knu@archon[2]% portversion -t 1.7_5 1.7.0.1
> <
>
> I remember Bruce modified my implementation slightly when making
> pkg_version aware of PORTREVISION and PORTEPOCH.

That isn't my recollection, but you know what they say about the memory
being the first thing to go...  :-)

I discovered another, possibly-related bug as well:

nimitz:bmah% pkg_version -t 1.7 1.7.0.1
=

portversion does the right thing in this case also.

It's also of note that reg's C reimplementation of pkg_version handles
both of these cases correctly.  It hasn't been committed to -CURRENT
yet, but I encourage any of you who use pkg_version to test it and make
sure it works...see the archives of ports@ or audit@ for a pointer to a
patch.

I'll start looking into this problem...thanks for pointing it out!

Bruce.