Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:36:45 -0400
From:      "Steven Friedrich" <StevenFriedrich@InsightBB.com>
To:        "cpghost@cordula.ws" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Qt programming

Thanks, that helped a lot.

I've downloaded the examples from C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3 at
ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/misc/qtbook-examples.zip

I followed the instructions in the README, but it doesn't build the
Makefiles in the chapters.  I've written Makefiles, so I know the
basics.  I'll try to crack the main Makefile to discover it's dark
secrets.  Anybody else should feel welcome to take a crack at it as
well.  I suspect I could just handwrite a Makefile in each chapter...

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:59:07 +0200, cpghost@cordula.ws wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:34:18AM -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
>> I want to learn Qt programming.  Can I do that without buying anything from TrollTech (until I'm ready to develop a commercial program) ?  Does FreeBSD have the tools, libraries, etc.?
>
>Use the ports, Luke!
>
>Esp.: /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33
>if it is not already installed on your system.
>
>qt33 also comes with 'designer', 'moc', 'uic', ... and it installs
>'qmake' as a dependency automatically, so you could immediately start
>hacking right away :-)
>
>Just one hint: Add this to your .profile before trying to do anything:
>
>QMAKESPEC=/usr/local/share/qt/mkspecs/freebsd-g++; export QMAKESPEC
>QTDIR=/usr/X11R6; export QTDIR
>
>> Steven Friedrich
>
>Happy hacking!
>
>-cpghost.