Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:37:26 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing limits from malloc(9)

At 4:25 AM -0400 4/8/02, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>The last bit that is missing before we can call malloc/free w/o
>Giant is the malloc_type statistics.  [...] I have a few options.
>The one that I'm leaning towards is only enabling malloc_type
>statistics if INVARIANTS is compiled in.  Then I could make one
>lock per malloc_type.

Why would this be tied to INVARIANTS?  That option is described
as "enable sanity checks".  Would it make more sense to have a
different kernel option, called MALLOC_STATS or something?  Maybe
have that as a sysctl, or at least a loader-tunable value?

or maybe even an /etc/malloc.conf option...

>So, the INVARIANTS only option doesn't work if we want to keep
>malloc type limits.  I'm wondering how useful this has been in
>the past?  I have heard from phk that it is useful for md(4)
>which could be converted to use a zone.  Is there any real need
>for these limits other than that?

I would like the option of malloc type limits to remain available,
although it would be alright if it's only available as some option.

I have a feeling that there is something about this that I'm
missing, though...