Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:12:36 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a little problem with ports

Bernie wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, David Johnson wrote:
>
> > Bernie wrote:
> >
> > > The 'qt-designer' (IDE) that comes in the ports want qt
> > > version qt-2.3.1_1.
> > >
> > > the 'qt-architect' (dialog editor) wants qt version
> > > qt1-1.45_1.
> >
> > Since qt-architect is available for qt-2.3.1, you should email the port
> > maintainer. I find that qt-architect is a much better program that
> > qt-designer.
> >

> so, i probably got that wrong...
>
> i thought you needed both of them no? the qt-architect is it IDE +
> drag n' drop gui designer?
>
> if so, then i only need architect right?

You only need one or the other. Actually, since Qt has such nice layout
widget, you don't really need either. My recommendation is QtArchitect,
but since QtDesigner comes with Qt, you can try that out as well. Since
there is no port for the latest QtArchitect, I would grab the latest
version and build it yourself (http://qtarch.sourceforge.net/).

p.s. If you wish to make a port for QtArchitect, let me know *offlist*
and I can help you out.

> appart from that, do you know of any other gui toolkits with IDE and
> widget drag n' drop designers available for freebsd?

If you want to do KDE programming, look at KDevelop. You can use it for
any C/C++ programming, and the gui layout tool works for either KDE or
pure Qt. But you may want to learn how to do it the "unix way":
different tools for different jobs. I use XEmacs for all my editing,
xterm for running make, and QtArchitect for widget layout (if I don't do
it by hand).

David