Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:15:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Sander Flobbe <A.R.Flobbe@phys.uu.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need an 'a' partition on both drives, possible?

 Hi,

 I have two IDE disks (/dev/wd0 and /dev/wd1) and I want both of
 them to contain an 'a' partition. Is that possible?

 This is what I do:
 * Start from 2.2.7-RELEASE floppy,
 * choose post-install
 * label /dev/wd1 (compat. mode, entire disk)
 * press W for write
 * partition /dev/wd1 (with a '/' partition and some others)
 * press W for write

 Then the following error (Alt-F2) occurs:
 newfs: /dev/rwd1s1a: `a' partition is unavailable

 There is no help on making Compatibility Mode Disks from the
 prompt (I love CLI) in the tutorials/handbook/faq.

 The reason I want both drives to have an 'a' partition is
 because I want to be able to startup FreeBSD from wd0 or
 from wd1, both with their own '/' partition. (I don't
 need other OS's)

 I'd appreciate any help/hint/suggestion very much!
 (no help in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)

 S.