Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:07:36 -0700
From:      "Ron 'The Insane One' Rosson" <insane@oneinsane.net>
To:        Darryl Hoar <dlhoar@ruraltel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Addresses

Darryl

Here are the address space listed for non INTERNET use.
192.168.0.0/16
172.16.0.0/12
10.0.0.0/8

These addresses are also specified in RFC1918.

Hope this helps
Ron

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 11:54:08AM -0000, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> I have read somewhere (I'm getting old and forget), that there are
> a set of defined IP addresses for people to use on their LANS.  This
> is when you are not going to try and register IP's, etc.   I have been
> using an network address 192.1.1.X, but with my FreeBSD 2.2.6 machine
> which is doing ppp -auto -alias, it looks up some of the addresses and
> shows the real name on the internet.  IE,
>
> netstat -r shows
>
> TBN2000.COLUMBIA.BBN.COM as one of our local hosts.  I definitely don't want
> that, so
> have decided to use the proper IP addresses for someone in our boat.

Ron Rosson              	... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 		   rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      	and all was null and void