Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 23:36:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: fdisk and partition info

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> "Dangerously dedidcated" is a misnomer.  I've always found it annoying.
>
> What it means is that the second stage (BSD) boot is put in place of
> the MBR.  For WD1007 with > 1024 cylinders, this shoots down the
> "use two partitions to make Bad144 happy with the boot disk" idea

That's why it is called ``dangerously'' dedicated: it becomes
dangerous for people who don't know what they are doing.

> you put forth above (note: this should work, there's no technical
> ambiguity preventing it from working, but the current code doesn't
> handle that case).

Nobody except Terry L. seems to be that much interested in improving
support for rather obsolete controllers.  Terry L. doesn't seem to be
that much interested in modifying the bad144 code to do what he would
like to see.  The net effect is that nobody changes the bad144 code.

> > > 	geometry [NB: the FReeBSD FDISK should always fill these
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > 	fields out correctly in any case).
> >
> > fdisk did always fill out these parameters correctly (or at least, it
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> No.  I know for a fact that at lease some versions of DOS 2.11 and
> prior did not fill out the 32 bit sector offset field correctly.
> Leading Edge was one of the offenders here.

Do you realize your problem?  You claimed that FreeBSD fdisk should
fill these fields correctly, i responded that it does, and you're
arguing that some 100-year old DOS fdisk didn't.  Sorry, i cannot
follow you.

--
cheers, J"org