Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:14:05 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mergemaster usage

I had a problem recently, with the new changes in kernel compiling, with Mergemaster that effectively hosed my system.

It's probably due to user error, however I followed the new directions outlined in Kris' message posting.

I tried using mergemaster -a (to automatically import diffs), but no go.  The system will boot, but now it can't run getty on /dev/ttyXX, which is perhaps a part of another problem with the update I performed.

Before I proceed and reinstall this system (it's a test system, so no big deal) I want to understand this procedure clearly -- we have a lot of other systems that will be updated to 4.x.

Here is the procedure I understand to be correct:

make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
shutdown (drop into single-user mode)
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

Now, my problem seems to happen at the 'mergemaster' level.   The first time I ran it, it went into interactive mode (really, I don't have time to answer 100 questions, so I thought that mergmaster -a would suffice -- there are a lot of systems that will be potentially updated by this process)...

So, the problem with the getty might very well be due to something different.   The behavior I would like to see automated is import diffs of new files into older ones (ie /usr/src/etc/defaults/make.conf and /etc/make.conf, et al).

Can someone shed some light on this?  Thanks in advance...........