Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:40:16 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

> At 6:34 am +0100 17/4/98, Mike Smith wrote:
> >A new banner: "/etc must die!".
>
> I disagree. The more mechanism that minimally has to be working before the
> system can boot, run a shell and talk to a network, the more nervous I get.
> init is too complicated already. Just because Apallo did it 15 years ago
> and Windows does it now, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. KISS

There's no more mechanism required under any proposed death-of-etc
scheme than there is now; you need init, the shell and ifconfig.  I
don't see anyone suggesting that these guys go away.

On the other hand, concentrating much of the system configuration
information out of various files in /etc into rc.conf has been a
popular move.  This takes it just a little further is all.