Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:07:45 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUI Suggested?

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:57:46PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>=20
> You don't have to choose one of those, there are lots of varied window=20
> managers, and advocates for each.  There's an overview here on fd.o:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Desktops.  Many of those are in ports.

That's a much shorter list than I would have expected to find.

This offers an incomplete (but longer) list of window managers, all of
which are copyfree licensed:

    http://copyfree.org/software/#WM

What I have been using for a few years is actually first in alphabetical
order there -- AHWM.  It is quite minimal and fast, with great keyboard
shortcut support (a necessity, given that it's intended to be primarily
keyboard driven).

A much more comprehensive list of window managers is the Comprehensive
List of Window Managers for Unix:

    http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

KDE, GNOME, and XFCE are more than window managers -- they are "desktop
environments".  Some people like that kind of bloat . . . err, I mean
"that kind of feature-richness".  Other examples include GNUstep (which
uses WindowMaker as its default window manager) and Enlightenment.  If I
*had* to choose a complete DE, rather than just a window manager, I'd
probably go with Enlightenment.  Since I don't have to, though, I stick
with something *truly* lightweight like AHWM.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

--=20

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--