Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:13:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        xxavi@MyRealBox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floppy disk

> > # mount /dev/fd0c /drives/fd
> grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
> mount: /dev/fd0c: Device not configured
>

> *** mount: /dev/fd0c: Device not configured ***
>

> hi, if the order "mount" means that the device is not
> configured,it has to be configured, isn't it?? so, how it has
> to be done?

Often the 'Device not configured' message appears to mean that
you do not have a floppy disk in the drive (or a tape in a tape drive).

It can also mean that you have to go in to the /dev
directory and do a './MAKEDEV xxx'  for it where xxx is the device.

Normally you would not actually do a mount for a floppy unless you
have a disk that has a file system built on it.   A lot of times
people just copy things directly to or from the device using 'dd' and
in this case you don't actually do a mount.  But, if you write a floppy
don't make a file system on the disk and mount it, things like grep
and ls won't work on it.  There are no files for them to look at, just
a glob of data.

(Actually, I have been having trouble with many machines writing to
 DAT tape drives (DDS-3 and DDS-4) using dd (or cp) when tar and dump
 work just fine.  But, that is another story and I should post some
 questions on that separately.)

////jerry